Sunday, December 8, 2013

DIY mask to detoxify

Howdy friends, wanted to do a quick blog post since I've been off social media for a few days, holed up in my house sick as a dog.  Caught some bug, I'm pretty sure from a woman in front of me at CVS last Tuesday who loudly proclaimed she had pneumonia while coughing all over the place.  Just lovely.  Anyway, thank goodness for Zicam and the flu shot!  One more day of rest (today) and I think I'll be back into the swing of things.

In an effort to feel more human, I decided to try a DIY mask I'd seen on YouTube.  Four days of blowing your nose makes for some pretty dry, chapped skin and I needed something to remind me I'm a girly-girl.  So, here's what I did:

5 tsp warm water
4 aspirin (uncoated)
4 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp honey

I dissolved the aspirin in the warm water first, then added the cocoa and honey and stirred until I had the consistency I wanted, roughly like thick brownie batter.




I then rinsed my face with warm water to open my pores and applied the mask to my face using a foundation brush.  This stuff smells AMAZING.  If you love chocolate, you will LOVE this mask.  I swear, I think the next time I'm craving chocolate, I'm just going to do one of these masks.  It was that satisfying.... And no, I didn't taste it!  Yuck!




I left the mask on for about 40 minutes.  By then it was dry and starting to flake off a bit and I really didn't want pieces of it falling onto my floor where my dog could get to it.  Cocoa plus dog equals BADDDDDD.   

So, I went upstairs and rinsed the mask off with warm water. 

WARNING:  The main ingredient of this mask if pure cocoa powder.  That is dark brown.  And messy.  When I splashed water onto my face, brown droplets got all over the place!  So, next time I do this mask I will remove it using a wet washcloth first, or I will remove it in the shower.  Just a little tip if you plan on trying this at home.  ;)

After rinsing off the mask, I used a teeny tiny bit of my Meaningful Beauty Skin Softening Cleanser just to make sure there was no residue left.  My face feels lovely, although my cheeks still seem pretty rough and dry.  But considering how brutal being sick has been on my face, it's a lot better than it could be.  And the other areas of my face feel really soft and smooth.  Plus?  Redness?  Totally toned down!  I couldn't get over how NOT RED my face looked!  Here, see for yourself!



So, overall I am extremely pleased with this mask.  I'm glad I have plenty of cocoa, honey, and aspirin to do a million more of these.  This is simple, cheap, and effective and I think it will now be a regular part of my beauty routine.  Thanks again YouTube, you are a wealth of information!

Oh, and Amy was very sad that she didn't get to lick the mask off my face......


2 comments:

  1. Poor sad Amy! She wanted to pamper you too. I hope the mask helped you feel better and all girlie like you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. Now if I could just get this ridiculous cough to go away.

      Delete