Monday, November 11, 2013

Swatches is a great place to start!

What better reason to start a blog than to have a place to put all the swatch pictures I took?  So, that's just what I did.  Welcome to Kimiknits plus Makeup!  

I'm currently uber-obsessed with all things makeup, especially eyeshadow.  And I have a LOT of eyeshadow.  Well, for me at least.  I really need to get a handle on it and find a way to organize it all so I know what I have and can get to it when I need it.  And it would be even better if I had some small inkling of what the colors look like on me without having to swatch every time I sit down at my makeup table.

What I sat down to yesterday


When I decided to experiment with looks yesterday, I found myself sitting in front of a ton of loose singles shadows with no idea where to start.  I didn't have the energy to pull out the palettes sitting on the lower shelf because there are just too many colors and I have no idea which ones are great and which ones are not, especially when it comes to the Bh Cosmetics palettes I have.  So.......I decided a little swatching would do me a ton of good.

The first palette I swatched is the BHCosmetics "Party Girl" palette.



Overall, I like this palette.  It's not one I would gush over, but when you factor in the price, this is a really nice palette and definitely worth the money.  As of today, this palette sells for $10.95 direct from BH's website.  I found only a few shades that had a disappointing color payoff, but most of the shadows had a nice feel and seemed well pigmented.  None of the colors have names, so I refer to them by row/number.  So, the top row would be A and each shadow in the row is numbered 1-10.  Let's start with the top row:

Row A, shadows 1-10 left to right



Row B, shadows 1-10 left to right



Row C, shadows 1-10 left to right



Row D, shadows 1-10 left to right




After I finished swatching each shade, I cut a line into each shadow that had very poor color payoff, so that the next time I opened this palette, I'd know which colors to avoid.  I was actually quite pleased with the number of shadows with excellent pigmentation and payoff.  Here's a shot of the palette after I finished:



The next palette I chose was the "28 Neutral" palette from BHCosmetics.  This palette is currently on sale for $10.00.  I really hate to say this, but I don't think it's worth the money.  The entire palette had only a few shadows that had any color payoff to speak of and the rest were chalky and very disappointing.  I also have the 88 Neutrals palette and I'm hoping there are a few more usable shades in that one.  As for the "28 Neutral" palette, it's going into time out.  There was one shadow in the entire palette that is keeping me from tossing the entire thing into the bin.  Shade D1 is this palette's redeemer.  It is an almost ephemeral vanilla with a green sheen.  Hard to describe but easy to love!





Row A, 1-7 left to right



Row B, 1-7 left to right



Row C, 1-7 left to right



Row D, 1-7 left to right




When I finished swatching this palette, I didn't bother marking the poor payoff shades because there were simply too many.  While I do adore shade D1, it's not enough for me to recommend this palette to anyone.

So, there are two of my BHCosmetics palettes.  I have several more, plus a bunch of palettes from Urban Decay, Lorac, and Cargo, among others.  I will document swatches here, including palettes and singles, along with anything else makeup that I can photograph and talk about.

I also have a YouTube channel where I hope to upload videos of makeup looks, hauls, and anything else that floats my boat.  Now, I end this first entry with gratuitous puppy cuteness.  Thanks for stopping by!



Edited to add: All swatches were done using Too Faced Shadow Insurance primer.


2 comments: